I usually source one of two ways for a season which is wholesale/liquidated pallet orders or Offerup in my local area. If I go the pallet route I download the manifest if available and begin reconciling my inventory to the document. I dispute any issues with the vendors if they did not uphold to their commitment. More on that in another post!
The steps below I strictly adhere to and have documented in order to be most efficient. Hopefully within a year I can hire a bit of help aka pay my daughter who says that in order for her to agree to work for me regularly she gets to be the boss (haha!) When that happens I wanted to have written procedures so that any person can jump right in and help!
Not to mention, as an auditor in my past life, its embedded in my head how procedures help detect/prevent/mitigate fraud, negligent mistakes and encourage looking for opportunities to increase efficiency.
Steps from incoming shipment to selling:
- Remove apparel and inspect for defects (stains, rips, missing button, etc.)
- Sort ready to sale or defected/no tagged items appropriately
- For ready to sale items I place them in a zip-loc bag with tags facing up for easier barcode scanning
- Either I or my daughter will affix an inventory number label on the zip-loc bag (she at least agrees to this in exchange for commission)
- I locate the inventory item in the excel manifest and mark it as received
- The inventory and the tote number are added in a custom column on the excel sheet
- I post the item to Poshmark and at some point cross-list using List Perfectly (check out my review here) to Ebay, Mercari, Depop, Tradesy, Offerup and Letgo (crazy, I know!)
- The item is placed into a 27 gal tote and stored away until sold or inventory verification
Once a sale is made I keep the item in the zip-loc bag and place it in a box or polymailer to ensure a damage-free shipment ❤